SPAN 300: Artifact #3

Artifact #3: Venezuela

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Focus: Global Citizenship & Intercultural Competencies

Description: This power point was our final project and presentation in Spanish 300. Our group had to create a presentation on one of the countries that we had previously discussed and include information on geography, culture, crime, and current events. One of my sections of the power point is the section on crime.

Venezuela is the key transit country for drug shipments that are leaving Colombia to the United States, and foreign guerrilla groups as well as internal guerrilla groups control this drug trade. As a result of these internal issues, the citizens are in danger of being murdered, kidnapped, or destroyed economically (sources in essay and artifact). 

Reflection: This class and project caused me to change my perspective on the world around me. I began to have an increased interest in the Hispanic community as I realized that part of being a global citizen is understanding the world around me and taking interest in the problems of others. As a result of my increased interest in Hispanic countries and culture, I decided to declare a Spanish minor after taking this course. 

Proficiencies: global citizenship, integration of cultures, empathy for other people groups, perspective-taking

Volunteering Experience: I play basketball for the Women’s basketball team and we volunteered at a local elementary school in Harrisonburg in the physical education department and we taught the children basketball. As a result of my Spanish minor and my knowledge of the language, I was able to speak to a little girl and explain all of the games that we played to her. I could tell that she really appreciated my effort to speak to her in her native language so she could play like all of the rest of the children. 

The button shows a photo of my team volunteering.

[maxbutton id=”2″ ]

Artifact #3: